I have just uploaded a new version of the UnboundID LDAP client to the Android market. It’s kind of embarrassing that it took this long to put out such a minor update, but I had visions of a much more significant update that I never got around to coding and I kept putting off some simple stuff. Hopefully the minor improvements are worth the update, and maybe I’ll get around to the bigger version at some point in the future.
The changes included in this update are:
- I’ve updated the application to use the latest version of the LDAP SDK. This includes several bug fixes over the version used in the previous release of the LDAP client, including some fixes around SSL and StartTLS.
- It is now more liberal with what it considers a user entry (and will therefore allow special treatment for things like telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, postal addresses, etc.). Previously, it would only work for entries with an object class of “person”. It will now work for any entry that has a “cn” attribute and at least one of the following additional attributes: mail, mailAlternateAddress, telephoneNumber, homePhone, mobile, pager, and facsimileTelephoneNumber.
- It should now be usable on devices with any screen size. Previously, it was only available for devices with what was considered a “normal” screen size, and it might not have been available on some devices with a very low resolution, or on devices with much higher resolutions. I don’t know how it looks on any of those other devices, but hopefully it’s at least usable.
- It should now be possible to move the application to the SD card on devices running Android 2.2.
I’ve tested the application in the emulator for Android versions 1.5 and 2.2, and on actual phones running Android 1.6, 2.1, and 2.2, and I haven’t encountered any problems on any of them. If you run into a problem, please let me know.